Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!- African style

I just came off the phone from my family in Burundi. Now that is a load of family. I mean, I think I spend about three or four hours on the phone...trying to play tag with a language.
Between English, French,(little) Kirundi and Swahili, I was able to communicate. Thankfully so.
I found that we had really grown up, and I found that I missed my family. there is something about Celebrating the New Year...Bonne-annee...Happy new year!
Lovely fashion of food, beer, and more food, and laughter..>Dancing. I spend about the amount of time for the family to get happy. Seriously, Africans know how to party like its nobody's business
Anyways, after three hours, I managed to get them singing and dancing, and they were laughing loudly which made it impossible for me to speak to anyone in coherent terms.
If you are African, or maybe you don[t have to be, you remember the all night parties to the new year, and the whole shenanigans. People slept literally and figuratively on top of each other, on the lawns, or on the floors. then woke up and partied some more.
Children played, and laughed. This is where you made you life long friends.
I left too early I guess, because those friendships I made...can't remember jack.
so now I have new friends...go figure.
but all in all...Happy New year!

No comments:

Post a Comment