Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hadithi, Hadithi,- The power of the Narrative

As a child, my friends and I loved to play a lot of games, that somehow have become potent as I look back.
One of the games involved become a story teller. We would seat in a circle, and the "leader" would say "Hadithi, Hadithi" and the rest of us would respond with "Hadithi Njoo". Loosely translated...."Story, story" "Story come!"
We would collaboratively tell a story, that began with "Once upon a time...." or "there was this man..."
I had forgotten about this game until my professor who had spent sometime in Kenya reminded me of this. That was the interesting part. This particular game, had a point to make with how we were raised. You see, narratives are very important. What is your narrative? who gave you that narrative, or rather how did that narrative develop?
we look at politics, or societies, and we interpret them from that perspective.
So for the last couple of days, I am trying to jot down on how my narrative has affected my view of the world....
interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment